Your consultation with the eye surgeon is an important part of preparing for eyelid surgery. This appointment is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the procedure, the surgeon you have selected and what you can expect during your surgical journey. There is a lot to cover!
To make sure you don’t miss any important topics, the team at Eyesthetica has compiled a helpful guide of questions to ask your surgeon. Feel free to print the guide and use it as a checklist during your consultation.
Questions about the Surgeon
- Where did you go to medical school?
- Where did you complete your residency training?
- Did you complete any special fellowship training programs?
- How many years have you been performing eyelid surgery?
- How many eyelid procedures have you performed?
Questions about Your Procedure
- Am I a good candidate for blepharoplasty?
- Are my goals reasonable?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used?
- What are the steps of the procedure?
- Will I have scarring after surgery?
- What are the risks and possible complications?
- What will my recovery be like?
- Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery and get the best results?
- How do you handle complications?
- Are there any procedures that can enhance the results of my surgery?
- What are my options if the surgical outcomes do not meet my expectations?
Preparing for Your Procedure
- Do I need to stop smoking? How far in advance?
- Do I need to stop taking certain medications or vitamins? Which ones? How far in advance?
- What are some things I should do to prepare for my day of surgery?
- Can I shower the morning of surgery?
- Can I eat or drink the morning of surgery?
- What should I wear to the surgery center?
- When should I arrive at the surgery center?
Recovering from Your Procedure
- When can I go home after surgery?
- What will I feel like immediately after surgery?
- Will I need to take any special medication during my recovery?
- Can I wash my face after surgery?
- When can I start driving after surgery?
- When can I go back to work?
- When can I start exercising again?
- Are there any other limitations I should be aware of during my recovery?
- When should I return for a follow-up visit?
- How can I minimize my chances of scarring?